In this data story, we dive into ChiefMarTec.com — one of the world’s most active blogs covering the marketing technology ecosystem. We crawled the entire archive from 2008 to 2018, and used Frase’s NLP engine to extract topics, and other useful metadata from them.
- Launched in 2008
- Title: “Chief Marketing Technologist”
- Description: “Are you interested in marketing technology and how that’s changing marketing strategy, management, and culture? Then you’ve come to the right blog.“
- Website property: ChiefMarTec.com
- 125,000 visits/month
- 50% of traffic is organic (source)
- URLs successfully processed: 714
- The breakdown by year is shown below:
1. Average Word Count
The average word count has almost doubled since 2008. Higher word count aligns with SEO ranking factors studies showing that Google prefers long-form content.
2. Topic Analysis
It’s interesting to see how certain topics completely fade away over the years. Topics like “semantic marketing” were very prominent in 2008 but are not mentioned at all after 2011. While terms such as “marketing stack” emerged in 2016 as new topics.
After digging into the topics, we identified 3 main stages in Chiefmartec.com:
- The Semantic Marketing Era (2018-2011)
- The MarTech Era (2012-2015)
- The Marketing Stack Era (2016-2018)
The 3 Eras of Marketing Technology
Below are the top 5 title topics that were more prominent in each era:
2008-2011: the Semantic Marketing Era
In 2008, Chiefmartec.com discussed topics that seem basic today, like those related to the semantic web, and the foundations of website analytics. Toward the end of this era the term “marketing automation” started to take hold in the marketing industry.
2012 – 2015: the MarTech Era
The term “MarTech” was introduced in 2012, and “agile marketing” quickly gained traction. Chiefmartec.com introduced the term “modern marketing” when new tools first embraced big data and real-time analytics. During this period, everything related to marketing automation was included as part of “digital marketing”.
2016 – 2018: the Marketing Stack Era
This era puts emphasis on the “marketing stack” which refers to a group of technology-based tools marketers use to execute marketing activities across different channels. The growth of the marketing stack created a bigger need for “marketing operations”. There was a lot of market consolidation during this time and many references to the “MarTech ecosystem”. We also see the introduction and increased use of the technology terms artificial intelligence, customer data, and blockchain.
Gartner reporting about MarTech dramatically increased starting in 2012 which was the same time Oracle acquired Eloqua for $810 million. This was also the time when Yahoo
Create content with an AI-powered Research Assistant
- In 2008, everything was about understanding internet marketing – how do search engines work? How do I track website visitors? Why is content marketing important? In 2018, we’ve transitioned to an environment where we put focus on the customer with topics like “customer experience” and “customer data platforms”.
- Based on Chiefmartec.com’s data, it appears as though we are experiencing a time of market consolidation, along with the emergence of disruptive technologies, namely artificial intelligence and blockchain.
- With so many MarTech vendors, managing the “marketing stack” now requires specific resources and strategy.